Navigation Bar

April 14, 2015

Poetry: Day 14

 Today, I challenge you to write a poem that takes the form of a dialogue. Your conversant could be real people, or be personifications, as in Andrew Marvell’s A Dialogue Between the Soul and the Body, or Yeats’ A Dialogue of Self and Soul. Like Marvell, and Yeats, you could alternate stanzas between your two speakers, or perhaps you could give them alternating lines. Your speakers could be personifications, like those in Marvell and Yeats’ poems, or they could be two real people. Hopefully, this prompt will give you a chance to represent different points of view in the same poem, or possibly to create a dramatic sense of movement and tension within the poem.

A Conversation With My Heart

Why do you ache, poor thing?
                 Lots of reasons...
Name one:
                 I'm going to stop beating some day

....
                 What! Does that surprise you?
Well... that's going to suck for me
                 Yeah, so... 

...
                 Just thought I would let you know
...
                You know, as a reminder to "live every moment," and all that
Ok...wow.
                It's not like I make the rules or anything.
I know, but jeez.

               Well, you can either believe it now or you can believe it later when it happens.
All right, all right.
               
                 

No comments: