Navigation Bar

November 23, 2011

30by30: 2.) New dinner dishes

This recipe I had been dying to try for several years. It always sounded great, but I never had an excuse to make it. I am attaching the recipe I used, which I reduced by half.

Better yet, it tasted very savory and left me with that great umami feeling in my mouth. The picture attached was after I served it to me and my husband.


COWBOY CHRISTMAS BREAKFAST
- Serves 6 (or 4 cowboys) Active time: 30 minutes. Start to finish: 1.5 hours

Ingredients:
1 pound bulk breakfast sausage (not links)
4 Texas Toast pieces - thawed
1 dozen eggs
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (and more if you like cheese)
1/2 cup whole milk
scallions
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
Put a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 375*F. Generously butter a 9x9 baking dish. Cook sausage in a skillet until browned, drain off fat and set aside to cool. Place Texas Toast face down in the baking dish. Sprinkle sausage on top. Whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper until frothy. Whisk in scallions and half of cheese. Pour egg mixture over sausage (bread will float to the top) and push down on bread with a spatula to help it absorb liquid. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover with a large sheet of buttered foil (buttered side down) and bake for 30 minutes. Carefully remove foil and bake until top is slightly puffed and eggs are cooked through in center, about 20 minutes more. Let casserole cool for 10 minutes, then cut into pieces. Note: The dish can be assembled up to 12 hours ahead an refrigerated, covered with buttered foil. Bake as directed.

Adapted from:
Reichl, Ruth. Gourmet today: more than 1000 all-new recipes for the contemporary kitchen. New York, NY: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. 657.

No comments: