Navigation Bar

April 1, 2015

Poetry: Day 1

Sample Poem: Essay by Natalie Eilbert
Prompt: Today, why not try writing your own poem that begins “I guess it’s too late to live on a farm”? Or if you already live on a farm, why not “I guess it’s too late to live in the city”? Or, if you’ve lived on both farms and in cities, perhaps it’s too late to live on a boat or in the mountains or on the moon or in an underground missile silo?

I guess it's too late to do Colorguard
performing, being special, good at it
no one understands us, comprehends us,              
I guess it's too late to be out with girl friends 
until one in the morning, laughing and 
falling over and catching rides home, safe

I guess it's too late to be catching the 
eye of that mystery guy and think if 
he notices me, hips, lips, my new Docs
I guess it's too late to go on a date 
with one person who does not notice me
the thrill of the performance, on and off

I guess it's too late to play loud Janet
spinning flags and jump in to cars, muddy 
that's the way love goesovernight parties,
band trips and field trips, inside jokes galore,
gossip, games, stories, pranks, fights, makings-up
I guess it's too late to do Colorguard

  

No comments: