Navigation Bar

October 26, 2011

30by30: 8.) Works of art, Hand-made furoshiki

When I was in Japan this year, I purchased some really nice Japanese fabric to use in making furoshiki for Christmas presents this year. History of the furoshiki began from the Edo Period, in the early 1600s. Furoshiki literally means "bath spread," as it was originally used to hold clothing, shoes and personal belongings while attending at the Japanese public bath. Users would wrap and fold it in various manners. As use of the furoshiki expanded beyond the bathhouses, merchants began using the cloth to carry their goods to the market and as a form of wrapping paper and gift carrier. It's reusable wrapping paper at it's finest. To me, it also reminds me of the "hobo bag" in the stick that people used to use in America. I made approximately 12 furoshiki as gifts this year and I believe my friends and family will really appreciate them. I made them large enough that if they would prefer to use them as a head wrap, like a bandana, then they are large enough.

No comments: