Navigation Bar

August 1, 2012

30by30: 22.) Finish mom's Jungle Quilt and Duck Embroidery - ALTERNATIVE COMPLETED

Before the quilting
I randomly found the following cross-stitched squares in mom's stash of embroidery items. I liked them so much, that I decided to turn them into a quilt. Though my original 30 by 30 goal was to complete mom's Jungle Quilt and her Duck Embroidery, the point of this one was to complete a sewing project that mom had started and never completed. Though I can't be 100% sure that mom had intended for these pieces to be turned into a quilt, I believe that she would be satisfied by the result. The backing has a tree ring print that matches the tan of the cover. The front really reminds me of mom's sense of design and the back is a fun and flamboyant print, which is totally me. I think it's a good combination of both mother and daughter in this quilt. In a twist, the cross-stich squares still have the hand-quilting dots on them, so I plan to hand-quilt it myself. Eek! Never done that before. :) I'm glad I was able to give these squares a new life versus them just sitting in a bag somewhere, hidden away and forgotten because they are really quite lovely. It will make me think of mom every time I look at it. I will make sure to note all those important notes on the quilt tag also.
Completed quilt, after hand-quilting and binding

No comments: