Navigation Bar

August 3, 2012

30by30: 27.) Learn how to play 30 songs on 30 instruments of my choice, clarification

I felt that I needed to clarify something on the musical inspired #27 of my 30 by 30 checklist. When I wrote this, I had originally planned on learning 30 songs on my favorite instruments and then playing them flawlessly. But after much self-reflection I realized that was not what this goal symbolized for me.

In essence, what I want to do is play a song so passionately, with so much emotion that it jars an emotional response from me. Whether that be a serene feeling (thus the picture of the beach), a sad feeling (where I begin to cry as I play) or a feeling of such happiness and joy that I smile and laugh as I play. When I have my head in the piano, this comes very naturally for me. That instrument feels like it was made for my body. I just let my brain go and play. I was trained to play flute for several years and I struggle more on that then my piano. I usually don't tie myself too much to the music, as I do for what playing the music correctly gives me. I'm not a stickler for perfection in this part of my life, it seems. This is surprising to me. I also hope to learn a few folk songs on mom's guitar so I can see if it is mindlessly beautiful like the piano for me, or if it's more like the flute where I have to think and concentrate the whole time.

I hope I was able to clarify this one. Remember, it's not in the flawless execution of a piece but rather it's creating that emotional response from myself. Where I move myself so completely that the piece becomes part of my body and I forget myself.

No comments: