Navigation Bar

October 10, 2009

New Thing #92: Hosted My First Chakai

I hosted my first chakai, or Japanese tea ceremony.
Location: Portland Japanese Garden's Tea House
When: Saturday, October 10th from 10:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. and 30 minute walking tour around the garden to follow
Guests: 3, Amanda (first guest), Erin and Vicki
Ceremony: Hirotemai, thin tea
Sweets: peach diafaku sweets from Tokyo, Japan when Kevin and I went
Scroll: "Ichigo, Ichie"
Theme: Autumn Changing Leaves and "Ichigo, Ichie" emphasis
Haiku: A red leaf falling,
settling
into the river,
clings to a green rock.

~Joso
Flowers: bush/shrub seed pod branch paired with small white cosmos in a woven bamboo floor vase arrangement

Summary of Event: Guests arrived promptly. I gave them a little history of the tea room. Pointed out scroll and flowers. They enjoyed the sweets and were so-so on the matcha. Following the tea ceremony, I took them for a walk around the garden and pointed out different landmarks/interesting aspects. The weather was brisk but also sunny and pleasant. The leaves were beginning to fall and they made a wonderful sound when sensai and I were preparing the miziuya.

No comments: