Navigation Bar

October 16, 2009

New Thing #94: "Oh Yeah"


My favorite baby-blue toggle sweater that I got from Banana Republic years ago, has finally bitten the dust. It got dribbled soy sauce down it at PF Chang's and it's owner slobbered something down the front of it, which looks like it's permanently stained it. So, per my friend Vicki's instruction who is an expert knitter, I dyed my sweater with Kool-Aid. Mind you, this will only work with 100% animal fibers (also human hair, in case you want to know). It took 25 packs of Blue Raspberry Lemonade (un-sugared... very important) Kool-Aid packs to make this brilliant blue. Only problem was that it wasn't quite dissolved enough before I put in the sweater. So, I'm going to redue it, the same color mind, and put in 35 packs this time and heat it and stir it until well dissolved BEFORE putting the sweater in. Don't heat the water too much or the wool will felt.

After redoing the sweater with 35 packs, it's a lot less splotchy from not being dissolved enough. But, sadly to say, the stains are still visible. But I think they will be less visible and all and all, since I didn't mind wearing it with the stains being visible I don't mind. But I spent like $15 on Kool-Aid. The blue packs are like 3x as expensive as the red packs. If you're going to dye something, dye it red if you want.

No comments: