Navigation Bar

April 14, 2010

New Thing #112: Green is as green does

I love that quote from Kermit the Frog playing off the famous Forrest Gump line. I used the ham bone to make a batch of pea soup from the Joy of Cooking cookbook. As a child, this was something I avoided like the plague. Partly because of its odiferous cooking odor and partly because it was a brilliant shade of baby-poop green. Anyway, that dish was a food staple in our household that we enjoyed every time we ate ham, which though not often, seemed like a punishment for me - the green challenged one. I followed the recipe exactly (adding the garlic and red chili pepper flakes leftover from pizzas long digested) minus the stirring in of the rendered fat at the end. It was a very, very good soup. Even Kevin ate a small bowl of it and actually, as he said, it was a good recipe. The chili flakes wasn't something I remember my parents adding and my mom wasn't a fan of garlic, so those two ingredients (I felt) added a complexity to the flavor that I don't remember ... from not eating it before :) lol. Well, it was definitely a success but we'll see how it improves being refrigerated overnight. I plan to freeze a full, large tupperware container for my mom to enjoy.

No comments: