Navigation Bar

March 30, 2012

30by30: 16.) Build and Plant a Square Foot Gardening Plot - COMPLETE

Well, this took a LOT of work for both my husband and I. First Kevin dug and leveled the space in the yard and he brought home the board. Then I painted the boards to match our deck. We got the paving stones from another area of our yard that the previous owner had left and made a checker board pattern.  We got 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 vermiculite (medium size) and 1/3 compost to nearly fill the space. We mixed the dirt well and planted the veggies. We then threw a piece of netting over it to protect from critters and birds, which we are blessed to have many of but after all that hard work I just couldn't stand the thought of having a cat use it as a litter box.

The reason why it's cordoned off is because I'm doing a square foot gardening technique. In the garden so far I have 24 strawberries (from the previous owner), 3 hops, 4 broccoli, 1 artichoke, 1 rhubarb, 4 romaine lettuce, 8 head lettuce, 2 butter crunch lettuce, 1 section of sunflowers, 8 sections of sweet corn from seed, 4 various annual flowers, 1 cilantro and adequate space for 1 tomato plant. I couldn't have done this all without my wonderful husband! Three cheers to him :)))

No comments: