Navigation Bar

March 27, 2012

30by30: 2.) New Dinner Dishes - Ohio Farmhouse Sausage Chili



Today I cooked Ohio Smokehouse Chili for Kevin and I. I had made it for my mom once who wanted me to come over and make chili for her, and I remember eating it with her and bonding over cornbread and chili. This picture isn't the best because Kevin hadn't started eating his chili for the first hour and the cheese got a little, slimy. I ate my chili so quickly that I forgot about the picture completely! But trust me, it's one of the best recipes and very hearty and filling! Adapted from Joy of Cooking, 1997 edition. Post script: If you are a cook book collector like I am, make sure that you have an original copy of Joy where it tells you how to cook possum, etc. It's hard to beat looking at some of those original recipes! Then get yourself a new edition which has this chili recipe and things like gazpacho). Here it is:

Ohio Farmhouse Sausage Chili (4 to 6 servings)
A delicious "warmer-upper" after a fine tramp in the woods on a chilly day.
Brown in a large skillet: 1 pound pork sausage, 1 large onion chopped.
Toward the end of the browning, add: 1 celery stalk, diced.
When the celery is softened, add: 1 can whole tomatoes and 1 can stewed tomatoes [blended separately with an immersion blender] chopped, 2 cups tomato juice or chicken broth, 3 T. maple syrup (the real stuff), 2 t. ground cumin, 1.5 t. powdered sage, .5 t. ground black pepper.
Simmer for 20 minutes, skim off fat if needed, Add:
3.5 to 4 c. cooked red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Simmer for 15 minutes more. Serve with:
Cheddar cheese sprinkled on top and a dollup of sour cream.

Optional for dipping: Corn bread, buttermilk biscuits, crisp toast

No comments: