Navigation Bar

November 16, 2013

Day 1: medieval "F"

Materials: Vintage medieval alphabet coloring page, vellum, art markers, glue.

Notes: The image is of Luke 7:36-50, where a sinful woman is anointing the feet of Jesus. Though I'm not a religious woman, I was struck by the woman's facial expression. She is meant to be crying while washing his feet. Why would she cry? What's going on in her mind? I colored this in 1995. I cut it out with an exacto knife. I thought it would be a fabulous first page since this coloring book was my mom's but she gave it to me years and years ago. For an elementary school student, note the gradation in the bottom of the letter.

Estimated time: 1 hour (over the course of 18 years)


I should also mention:
That the idea of this project scares me and intimidates me. What if people think I'm a terrible artist? (I had trouble with rejection in NYC when I worked there) What if I totally suck? What if everyone rejects me and finds me idiotic for trying this? What if I fail through laziness? What if people just find me insane for doing another 365 Project? A 365 Project is a large commitment. There is lots of room for failure. But I would like to look at this project through the lens of hope and self-betterment NOT just another thing to check off my to do list.

And with that, I'll end this post. I am feeling hopeful.

No comments: