Navigation Bar

August 22, 2009

New Thing #82: Fun With Propogating Succulents and Planting a Cactus


Kevin had this beautiful yellow pot that had his college cactus plant in it. The cactus had died. I had been saving "big yellow" for some indoor plant options because the pot is so pretty. I decided yesterday after Erin gave me a cactus that I would put a SMALL cactus scene in it. Rather then one LARGE cactus, I put 6 small cactuses in it: I had two clippings from Laura that are prickly and small and round. I got the one from erin which is three branches and shaped with small little points and bumps and the third I picked up at the nursery and it's a "panda" cactus which means it has little brown tips and is really soft. It is the one pictured here. I thought with those conflicting textures and heights, it would look really nice indoors in the winter. I also got a clipping off the panda which I'm propogating and I got a $3 cactus that is red and green and looks like a water lily. I also propogated that too in half because it had already a well developed baby with roots. So now I have 4 pots of cactuses! I also tried to fix my aloe plant because it was having a hard time after I overwatered it. I'm not sure if it's going to live or not but I sliced off a few of the shriveling stalks and hope that will work. The new growth looks firm and healthy, so it might be all right. But the other majority of the plant looks pissed still. After referring to the infinite wisdom of the internet, they said that aloe vera plants are remarkably hardly, so maybe it will live. Will keep you posted. Right now, the heat is good for it though. They will stay out for a while longer.

No comments: