Navigation Bar

January 29, 2014

Art365 update: 75 day check point

When I last checked in with you, I'd been doing the project for 50 days. At that time I wanted to "just get better at art in general. To figure out what I liked and try to pick up skills with practice." Well, I'm feeling a little confused about that statement. How does a person get better at art, when they aren't really putting in the countless hours of time to practice something? Sure, taking 10 minutes to do a sketch is better than not drawing at all. But, I'm not improving any skills or becoming better at art in general. Sometimes I don't draw something because I know it would take me several hours to even do a good pencil sketch. Things that are complicated and good take time. There is SKETCHING, and then there is drawing. I love The Bird King: An Artist's Notebook and Shaun Tan said most of his drawings in that book took two hours or less. Creating art is like writing, which is also a form of art don't get me wrong. You have to brainstorm, outline, draft, edit and revise to get something that is really excellent. Do all those steps need to happen with fine art too?

But part of me doesn't want to take several hours on a drawing of something I don't really care about. Something I don't even want to hang on the wall or give away to someone. I know it's supposed to be about the journey and not the finished project. But I like creating something that I'm proud of or want to share with others. But those things that you can sell or giveaway takes hours of refinement and drafting. I didn't really want Art365 to be about that. But yet, I do. I feel like I need to be plugged in to the Matrix and receive a boost of artistic talent beamed directly in to my brain. All the skills but none of that hard work. How naive and foolish of me. But hard work is rewarding and I should start incorporating fewer, nicer projects. Maybe the projects span multiple days and I take pictures of the creative process too? All great options to consider when thinking about the upcoming months.

No comments: