Navigation Bar

February 27, 2014

Day 103: a dream catcher

This post is more of a rant then a comment about my art. I grew sick of this drawing in less than 2 minutes. I'm reading "Code Talkers," which is a fiction story about the Navajo code talkers of WWII. I have been feeling like America continues to screw over the Native Americans and First People in general. It's not just us but other majority cultures continue to try and stomp out minority cultures. (I'm talking to you Australia!)

I wanted to draw a dream catcher from a craft book of mine so I started there on the right and then I thought, why am I drawing this? I don't actually know what a First People dream catcher looks like. I only know what I've seen at hippy craft fairs and in this made by white people, for white people craft book. So I stopped drawing and I decided to slash the page with a messy circle and instead of a web, just a hex of mean, angry slashy lines.

This is the second time I have had to type this post and the first time was so much more eloquent and three paragraphs long but my iPad crashed and I was so angry. Still, this was time well spent pondering and problem-solving and questioning society.

Materials: anger, ink
Time: 1 hour

No comments: