Navigation Bar

December 30, 2013

Day 45: our maps

For Christmas I received a copy of Unstuck: 52 Ways to Get (and Keep) Your Creativity Flowing at Home, at Work and in Your Studio, a book by Noah Scalin, who dig his own art 365 project called Skull365. One task was to create something called a Memory Map. This could be done in lots of ways, and there is no "wrong way" to do this. Just take paper and pen and write down what you can from memory. This might be a map of your childhood home, your neighborhood, your old school, etc. The book prompted you to draw the USA in two minutes (!!!) and label as many states, landmarks, cities as you could. I decided to make it more difficult for us and have us draw the world! On Buzzfeed, they did a humorous version of this where they asked Brits to label the US states in a pre-drawn map. Check It Out for a few giggles :) I thought it would be fun to ask Kevin to do this one too :) This was a large challenge to get him on board.

Some rules needed to be made: We each had 25 minutes, one pen, one pencil, various markers and one sheet 11x17 marker paper. No peeking at "real" maps. You could use a straight edge (which I ignored). 
Time: 25 minutes timed, no more, no less.

Karla: I started with England because I knew that was in the middle. I then skipped from Russia to Japan and back to France, therefore leaving myself a gross misunderstanding of the Middle East. "My South America is all screwed up, but at least the countries are in the correct order from South to North. Also my polar bear in the Arctic is pretty cute."



Kevin: "I didn't want to draw the entire world. That involves projections. The round Earth creates a distortion on a flat map." Note: He decided to do a Robinson projection: the one you got in school's geography lessons. He asked this information be included for posterity. He said that  he started with Africa and worked his way out from there, "Unfortunately, this meant my Pacific Ocean kind of vanished."




No comments: