Navigation Bar

August 24, 2008

New Thing #14: Splunking


Day Four: Cousin vacation/Klamath Falls. My cousin, her boyfriend and I drove down to the California Lava Beds National Park and went splunking. I have been cave exploring before in Bend but this one had a neat park with many to choose from. We did about 7 cave hikes. My favorites were the Golden Bear and the chocolate one. During one particular hike, we turned off our flashlights and just sat in the total darkness. It gave me a very primal feeling. I didn't smack my head at all but I came incredibly close. I stumbled down this one incline and felt a stalagtite brush my hair. We were in low caves most of the time, another difference from my hike in Bend. The Visitor's Center at this park was swell too. It had a place where you could get flashlights for free. Entry fee: $10.00 per car. We were there for several hours exploring those lava caves and it was worth every penny. We didn't go into any of the crawling routes because we all found the idea too claustrophia-inducing.

No comments: