Navigation Bar

August 18, 2008

New Thing #8: gaa gaa food, yum yum


After my friend Becca got her wisdom teeth out this month, I started thinking to myself what foods were suitable for eating when you can't chew. When I got my wisdom teeth out in college, my friend Elizabeth brought me several containers of baby food. It was very nice but I was a little taken aback at the idea. I was not at the point mentally where I could get past the hurdle of adults eating baby food no matter how unable I was to chew conventional food-- though I did eat the applesauce ones because I really didn't see how they could be different then applesauce for adults. So, those glass jars of "chicken & dumplings" and "cereal" got donated during the next canned-food drive. I was not sorry to see it go. But I was wandering around in Freddies with a birthday gift card that was aching to be spent, so I bought two containers of Gerber baby food and ate it. I got two jars: the Carrot Apple Mango (which was my "scary" one to try) and the Banana Strawberry (for dessert). The Banana Strawberry one was delicious and I am MOST DEFINITELY not a fan of bananas.The jars of Gerber baby food were incredibly difficult to unscrew-- I practically threw my neck out hunkering down to get the darn things open. For those of us who haven't eaten baby food since we were toddlers (or haven't had babies to feed it to), baby food is not blended but rather strained. It's this strange thick consistency which isn't altogether unpleasant but rather foreign compared to what we eat now. It's funny the ways that Gerber trys to make "non-boob food" smell attractive to young 'uns! The CAM flavor was a Stage 2 (7-8 months old) and the BS was Stage 3 (9-12 months). I didn't see any stage 1 flavors I wanted to try (4-6 months). Overall, I'd say I'm not brave enough to try any of the strained-meat varieties.

No comments: