Navigation Bar

September 1, 2008

New Thing #22: Quilters do it!

I consider myself to be a quilting novice which means that I dable occasionaly in the quilting arts but I've never actually completed a project. Today I started my third quilt which is a twin-size quilt kit I got at a fabric store that was going out of business downtown. I learned how to do a new technique today for this one: I made 7 yellow yo-yo pieces for my applique flowers that I haven't learned how to do yet. I try to find something new each quilt that I put together. And in fact I'm finding out that I really enjoy sewing, but I'm not very patient for "measuring" and "pinning pieces together" or "ironing"...it's all a bunch of jibbery-jube. Well, in this quilt I am truely seeing the benefits of careful measuring--ahem. The next quilt I make, I should practice patience and make sure I do it right-- even if it takes longer. Sure I can fix mistakes but I'd rather do it right and have all the corners be straight. As for my pile of quilt tops, I haven't actually basted them or quilted them yet, I've just sewn all the tops together. At the point when I finish this latest one, I'll need to buck up and quilt them all, one after the other. I figure it will go much faster that way.

No comments: